Xmanager Knowledge Base
Displaying color in vI and VIM
Last modified: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:28 PM
This article explains how you can use colors when listing folder and files with â€˜lsâ€™ command
To use colors when listing folder and files with ls command..
1. Terminal emulators that can use colors: Xterm, gnome-terminal, etc. supports 256-color
2. Shell that recognizes color: BASH, TCSH & etc.
3. terminal environment settings of shell for color recognition: TERM environment changes must be in xterm, ansi, or other color recognizing terminal type. With the following command, you can check the terminal type and change.
$ echo $TERM
$ export TERM=xterm (or setenv TERM xterm)
4. Utility programs that supports color: ls, vim & etc.
5. Utility programs settings that supports color: for â€˜lsâ€™ â€˜--color=ttyâ€™ option should be used. If alias is set, it is easier to work.
$alias ls=â€™ls --color=ttyâ€™