Xmanager Knowledge Base
It takes a long time to login or logout on Gnome / I cannot logout from Gnome
Last modified: Wednesday, December 2, 2015 6:48 AM
When you are using Gnome, you experience the following symptoms:
- Login window opens slowly
- It takes too long to process Password input and start the Gnome application: SuSE Enterprise 10
- Log out takes a long time: CentOS
This problem occurs when the remote host tries to connect to the local sound server.
To resolve this problem, you can do any one of the following:
- Install Xmanager Patch (Xmanager 3.0 Build 0114 or higher, Xmanager Enterprise 3 Build 0188 or higher): eSound processing is supported since these build versions.
- Allow TCP 16001 on your Windows firewall settings (only works for Windows XP and lower): Remote host will try to connect to TCP 16001 port and drop the connection immediately without waiting for a TIMEOUT event to occur.
- Use terminal to disable eSound. To do so, edit or create the $HOME/.gconf/desktop/gnome/sound/%gconf.xml file.
- Use Linux GUI to disable eSound. To do so:
Note: This exmaple is for CentOS 5
1. Click on the System menu, Preferences and then, click the Sound menu
Result: Sound Preferences opens
2. Click on the Sounds tab
3. Uncheck the Enable Software sound mixing (ESD) option