Xshell Forum

Run XSHELL from a USB Thumb Drive?

Last post: Friday, August 26, 2016 7:44 AM by Collin, 37 reply

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:25 AM - coolguy

Run XSHELL from a USB Thumb Drive?

Hi,

I cannot install the program on office PC, since do not have Admin rights. Is it possible to run the XSHELL program from an USB Thumb Drive?

Can I install the program on my home PC, then simply copy 'C:\Program Files\Xmanager Enterprise 3' to USB thumb drive and can run from it?

Program Ver. : Xshell 3.0
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:43 AM - Support

Re: Run XSHELL from a USB Thumb Drive?

Currently Xshell or other products cannot run from an USB drive. However, we acknowledge the needs for portable versions of our products and it is now one of our upcoming projects to make Xshell a portable application.

---
Technical Support

Did you know that Xshell and Xftp are free for home and school use? To find out more, please click here.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:08 PM - coolguy

Re: Re: Run XSHELL from a USB Thumb Drive?

thanks!
Sunday, May 10, 2009 12:00 PM - coolguy

any updates?
Monday, May 11, 2009 4:13 PM - Support

Not yet. This is not a small project and it may take awhile until we can release a working version.

Thank you for your patience and please check back again.

---
Technical Support
Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:43 PM - Crend King

You can definitely make portable yourself. As far as I know, Xshell writes HKCU\Software\NetSarang and HKLM\SOFTWARE\NetSarang, and also writes $APPDATA\NetSarang. There is Portable Application Template at http://portableapps.com/node/10491. You can use it to compile a portable launcher. Some small changes are needed.

The attachment is what I used. Compile it with NSIS, and you can get a PortableApp Xshell. Remember to copy the Netsarang Common directory to App directory.

Still, official portable is more desired.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:14 PM - Support

Thank you for sharing this information.

We are working on a native portable Xshell. So, hopeful not too far from now, you should be able to see it on our website.

Also, we will do some more research on portable application and post an article in the future.

---
Technical Support

Friday, October 16, 2009 5:50 PM - Juan V.

Por favor, saquen pronto una version oficial portable, hoy en dia es muy necesario.

Tambien seria muy bueno que dieran la posibilidad de traducir el programa al espa¿ol. Si ponen a disposicion del publico los archivos de lenguaje, muchos podriamos traducirlo y enviarselos a ustedes coomo una forma de ayudar.

Desde ya muchas gracias y saludos desde Chile.
Sunday, October 18, 2009 10:43 PM - Support

Thank you for your interest and sorry for replying in English.

Portable version of Xshell is not available officially. We will keep you posted on this.

---
Technical Support
Sunday, November 14, 2010 10:33 PM - eg

Any updates yet?
Friday, December 16, 2011 4:18 AM - Jay

Hi.
Any updates yet?
Monday, December 19, 2011 1:09 AM - Support

Jay,

We are talking to add this feature in the next major release. Thank you for your patience.

---
Techncial Support
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:16 PM - jay

Ok... when?
Saturday, April 14, 2012 4:38 AM - BUGHUNTER

Why is it so hard to implement this feature for you?

Really makes me wonder... software developers doing these kind of software should really be able to implement portablity in a few hours - you need YEARS???

If you have capacity problems or do not understand the source that someone else did write before, please make it an open source project, so we can fix it for you.

Thanks!
Monday, April 16, 2012 2:16 PM - Support

As it was mentionend above, we are aiming to add this feature for out next major release.

We are careful about our products and are always striving to make the best for our customers.

Thank you for being patient.

---
Technical Support
Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:08 AM - John

And another year goes by... I had to move back to putty because of the lack of portability in xShell. Come on guys!
Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:40 AM - Yahav

Well?
Are we going to see a portable xShell any time soon?

Also, i noticed some 3rd party edition which i can't really trust so i will avoid it but you might want to give it a try.
http://www.thinstallsoft.com/xshell-portable/
Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:48 AM - Support

Portable feature will be added to version 5.

---
Technical Support
Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:39 PM - Ethan

I am also looking forward to this feature. It is very useful!!

Can you estimate release month or quarter?
Wednesday, February 26, 2014 9:15 PM - Ethan

Any update on this? Will we have a portable version?

What about export/import connections between Xshell on multiple computers?
Thursday, February 27, 2014 10:10 PM - Support

We are working on the portable version but won't be released with public beta. We know a lot of users are anticipating this feature. It is difficult to release the portable version due the nature of commercially licensed software. We are working on a solution that will benefit both free license users and commercial users.

---
Technical Support
Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:41 AM - ST

I'm sorry to say that it is incredibly dissapointing to read that on 2009 you stated that you'll include this feature and that you've kept the same statement over the years. Now, four years after one the most common features of this kind of application is still missing and several "we'll add it soon" have been heard.
Monday, October 13, 2014 11:19 PM - Sergey

Fully agreed with commentors. When will be available official portable edition? I don't see any movements in this direction in 5 version.
Thursday, January 29, 2015 4:47 AM - Alex

Any update on this?
Thursday, January 29, 2015 4:06 PM - Joy

Bhahaha. 5 years ago !!!
So sad (
Tuesday, July 21, 2015 7:53 AM - Ben Warner

Any update on this? We need a portable version.
Tuesday, July 28, 2015 2:52 PM - Support

Technically we can make portable version. The problem we are facing is a licensing issue. Although Xshell has large number of free users, it is also a commercial software. It means licensed portable version can be freely distributed over the web. We are trying to find a solution to this problem.

We appreciate your continuous support and feedback.

---
Technical support
Thursday, September 24, 2015 12:22 PM - Sergey

Make for Home use only at first.
Portable versions maked with Thinstall sometimes work wrong
Friday, September 25, 2015 6:07 AM - guest

Make a Portable version (free version for home), please!! How much can you have to ask you to do portability? Thinstall and other loaders - bad variant (a strong crutch).
Please, make portable XShell, as do other good developers that make software for people. It is not difficult at all, it is not in the registry and in the config in the program folder. Im bad speak english..

P.S. You are asked to do as MUCH with portability on March 17, 2009 (!!!!), it's just a horror! 6 years (!) you can't do it.

Hope, wait, and meanwhile continue to use WinSCP, Kitty (Putty portable with useful features) until you don't show respect to users who need it since 2009.
Wednesday, December 23, 2015 12:32 AM - for you

guys, just tell you, if you need a portable version, can follow these step:

1, install one xmanager enterprise version (I just tried version 4).
2, search following files:
nsssh3.dll
nslicense.dll
nsutil2.dll
nssock2.dll
nsresource.dll
Xshell.exe
nsprofile2.dll
3, copy them to your usb.
4, enjoy!

PS: when you open it, it would be an error, but no impact to use it. And sftp icon works well ^_^.
and you even do not need a administrator permission to run it. this is a green portable version.
Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:38 PM - Rafal

something known about this future?
Tuesday, February 16, 2016 11:56 PM - test

hi mate, you can try my method, it works well i think.
Sunday, February 21, 2016 11:22 PM - Wael

the xftp is not working, did you add any other file to the list you provided?
Tuesday, March 1, 2016 1:51 AM - test

No. I tested. the sftp works. just it pops a error hint window, but you can ignore it. then, it will launch a command sftp prompt, associated with your ssh session.
Monday, March 7, 2016 4:43 PM - funix

Any updates on this?

Why wouldn't Netsarang remove a enterprise-related feature and just release a portable edition of Xshell5 or maybe even Xshell4? a version behind isn't so bad.

The key need here is a portable edition for those that want to keep this as a utility on a portable drive or in a VM.
Sunday, May 22, 2016 12:44 PM - GJ

Any updates on this?

Either you release portable version or declare that you are not going to release it. If licensing is the issue why can't you release portable version for Free licence?
Wednesday, June 15, 2016 2:38 AM - funix

Any updates on this?

Perhaps the best idea is to provide an older version as portable, and then more people would be attracted to buy the latest version, provided it includes portable edition.
Friday, August 26, 2016 7:44 AM - Collin

Wow wala post!! 7 yrs~!!!