Xshell Forum

JumpHost w/XShell; XShell Ignoring Connection Host when using Proxy

Last post: Monday, March 26, 2018 7:36 PM by Support, 1 reply

Friday, March 23, 2018 1:51 PM - Henry

JumpHost w/XShell; XShell Ignoring Connection Host when using Proxy

I'm attempting to setup a jump host using XShell, this so far has been the first issue I've ever ran into with XShell that makes no sense.

I have read the help article Multi-Hop Login Using Xshell.

Except there's one issue, I'm not going to modify the ssh_config on the jump host to accept XSHELL variables, though, even when I did attempt that (for testing reasons) all it did was create errors:

/etc/ssh/ssh_config: line 58: Bad configuration option: acceptenv
/etc/ssh/ssh_config: terminating, 1 bad configuration options

Which I didn't bother looking into much as the altering of the ssh_config on the jump host isn't necessary when doing this straight through SSH, so why would it be necessary here.

Now here's the interesting part. I made a proxy to the jump host, SSH_PASSTHROUGH, Port 22, using my username. However I can fill the main Connection information with junk data and it will still just connect me to the Proxy just fine, just it's connecting to the proxy, not using it as a proxy, I just go directly to the bash of said proxy no matter what is inputted in the Connection information.

Why is it completely ignoring the Connection value and just logging into the proxy? Rather than, well, using the proxy as a proxy and using said proxy to login to the Connection.

Program Ver. : Xshell 5
Monday, March 26, 2018 7:36 PM - Support

Re: JumpHost w/XShell; XShell Ignoring Connection Host when using Proxy

The AcceptEnv variable settings should be set in /etc/ssh/sshd_config (not ssh_config). As you probably already know, this requires admin privileges.

When using SSH_PASSTHROUGH, a login using the ssh protocol is established first, and then XSHELL variables can be set in the session to ready for jumping to another host using the variables.

Let us know if this helps. Thank you!

Technical Support

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Visit our blog Blog