Xshell Forum

Start new multiple session faster

Last post: Friday, March 25, 2016 4:50 PM by Support, 6 reply

Friday, March 11, 2016 10:45 PM - Lalit

Start new multiple session faster

Hi,

I am really looking for a solution to this:

I have to start multiple sessions to servers every time and these servers are having different new names every time.

I just get a list of server names to connect all at once and run commands on all of them in parallel.

I tried the folder method that you have already in place, but that does not work for me, as I can't keep adding server names in the list and even if I add them, I can't keep searching server names from a big list, in order to select and then click connect. Another drawback with the list/ folder method is that you have to waste time in adding and removing the hosts from the folders (to keep it updated to the latest) and in my case I may not have the old servers already running as they are randomly created by the people individually as Virtual Machines.

What I am looking for is:

If I have a list of server like:

server1.org.edu
server2.org.edu
server3.org.edu
server4.org.edu
server5.org.edu

I just want to give this list from notepad in some input interface window in Xshell and Xshell must fire parallel sessions to each server at once and I must be able to connect to all of them in parallel.

This list may change next time with some other server names.
Also, I want to use this feature to connect even to 50-60 different server at the same time, all with new server names every time.

Another thing to mention, I execute auto-login and run commands via the "Login Scripts" to every session after every successful login. So, the "Default Session Properties" must apply to all these sessions connected in parallel.

I have checked several other ssh agents/ programs, but this feature is not there anywhere.

If you could incorporate this feature in future release, this would really be great.

Thanks and Regards

Lalit

Program Ver. : Xshell 5
Tuesday, March 15, 2016 1:13 AM - Support

Re: Start new multiple session faster

Thanks for the detailed description of what you're looking for. Currently, Xshell does not have capabilities for what you are requesting, but our developers have taken a look and we're strongly considering adding this feature. Providing a schedule for release, however, is difficult as of now.

For now, you can use a batch file which consists of command line parameters of Xshell as such:

Xshell.exe -url protocol://user.password@host1:port
Xshell.exe -url protocol://user.password@host2:port

For a more detailed explanation of Xshell command line parameters, please see our FAQ here:Xshell Faq : Command line parameters for Xshell

Technical Support

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Visit our blog Blog
Tuesday, March 15, 2016 6:02 AM - Lalit

Thanks for the response.

Sure I would try the method that you have told. But, this would have me prepare a batch file before this, which would be task to do via the editor.

But, I would desperately be looking for this feature to be there in the main tool along with easy to use functionality.

I have been using this ssh tool all through since 2006 and have recommended this to many many people I can't even count now. So, would like to stick to it if this feature gets added to it.

Thanks and Regards

Lalit
Tuesday, March 15, 2016 6:21 AM - Lalit

Just would like to add to my previous reply.

I have been using the same method as you mentioned.
Created a text file with the server named and open that file using a windows shell batch program, but it works out to be very slow, as the sessions get started one after the other and not in parallel.

Pls consider this if there are plans to implement this feature.

There are other interface issues with this method. I would surely like to share that with you if you would be interested to know.

Thanks and Regards

Lalit
Thursday, March 17, 2016 8:20 PM - Support

You can use a scrip to open multiple sessions. We have prepared a sample script here:

https://www.netsarang.com/extrafiles/xshell/3726/Scrip_to_open_multiple_sessions

Concerning your password issue. We have successfully replicated the issue. The issue occurred not because you had included '.' in your password, but because Xshell does not parse passwords from host URL strings. Anyways, we will fix this as soon as possible.

Technical Support

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Visit our blog Blog
Thursday, March 24, 2016 1:03 AM - Lalit

Thanks a lot for the quick vb script

But, I am receiving frequent session timeouts (Session::timeout!) while connecting to servers. The same server connects at certain attempts or times out at other attempts. The timeouts were almost 25% of the total connection attempts.

Still, thanks a lot for your sincere help. I will look forward to get this integrated in future releases of this software.

Thanks and Regards

Lalit
Friday, March 25, 2016 4:50 PM - Support

Try using single process mode. This may solve your timeout issue. I've attached an image for reference.

Technical Support

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Visit our blog Blog
Attachment image.png (20.2 KB)