Xshell Forum

portable version 'it is now", 2009.MAR.17, "one of our upcoming projects': by Technical Support

Last post: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:49 AM by Support, 1 reply

Saturday, February 20, 2016 9:15 PM - vonp

portable version 'it is now", 2009.MAR.17, "one of our upcoming projects': by Technical Support

forgive me! but, seven (7) years awaiting is not what anyone expects 'upcoming' to mean. moreover, i am certain nobody understands a complete lack of attention to such an important requirement that only becomes more indispensable as time and opportunity passes netsarang by.

making a portable windows version means keeping your variables, modules, DLL's, logs, working storage, or whatever out of the registry and non-app directories and into the application's own directory tree. is this process the coding equivalent of neurosurgery? NO! it is the coding equivalent of packing an over-night bag. there are even open-source free applications that semi-automate the process so that the implementation should take no more than a half a day ... including testing.

what is the problem?

i personally use xshell and have introduced it to several other individuals and NGO's. however, whenever i have had to specify an enterprise-sized (i.e., "paying" customer) application, i have to go elsewhere due to a lack of a portable xshell version.

Program Ver. : Xshell 5
Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:49 AM - Support

Re: portable version 'it is now", 2009.MAR.17, "one of our upcoming projects': by Technical Support

Hello,

Building a portable version is relatively simple as you have mentioned. However, when it comes to licensing logistics, it becomes a little more complicated. Releasing a portable version into the "wild" without taking proper measures may have severe consequences for us down the line.

This does not mean we won't be releasing a portable version. As you are fully aware, a portable version is important in many corporate environments and this fact is not lost on us. We are currently exploring our options so we can deliver an optimal package. We apologize for the delay and we'll release it as soon as feasibly possible.

We appreciate your support and we hope you can recommend Xshell to your colleagues in the future.

Technical Support

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Visit our blog Blog