Xshell Forum

Is it possible to default xshell ssh authentication to password?

Last post: Friday, February 12, 2016 1:41 AM by Support, 3 reply

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 4:21 PM - Shuai

Is it possible to default xshell ssh authentication to password?

I regularly login to linux/switch/router with ssh and every single time after I typed in username, xshell defaults to Public Key for authentication. Plus the password field is grey. I had to click on Keyboard Interactive and Ok and then enter my password...

This doesnot apply to every ssh session but most of them and it is cumbersome...Any way I can force Xshell to default to the password for authenticate SSH?

Thanks,
/S

Program Ver. : Xshell 5
Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:50 PM - Support

Re: Is it possible to default xshell ssh authentication to password?

Xshell is not defaulting to Public key authentication. It is attempting a password authentication, failing, and then moving on to the next authentication type.

This occurs because most of the servers you mentioned are set to not to use password authentication. Therefore, when you try to login to these servers with password authentication, the servers correctly reject the authentication. From there, Xshell will display its authentication window and point to the next authentication type, Public key authentication, in an attempt to gain access.

To avoid this, you can set Keyboard interactive as the default authentication in Xshell session properties.

Password authentication and Keyboard Interactive authentication are inherently different, but for most common usage cases both authentication types will behave the same from a user's standpoint.

Technical Support

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Visit our blog Blog
Thursday, February 4, 2016 11:33 PM - Shuai

"To avoid this, you can set Keyboard interactive as the default authentication in Xshell session properties."

That is a good workaround for me honestly. I personally would think the most compatible authentication method should be used as default when released from vendor...Plus you know with some linux/unix servers your app will present this inconvenience issue with the default password authentication. Please make the Keyboard interactive as the default authentication in next release.

Thanks.
Friday, February 12, 2016 1:41 AM - Support

We will consider making the adjustment for the next major version after further feedback analysis. Thanks!

Technical Support

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Visit our blog Blog