Xshell Forum

xshell crashes when open multiple GNS3 console windows at once

Last post: Thursday, April 2, 2015 6:55 PM by Support, 5 reply

Friday, March 20, 2015 10:55 AM - Shuai

xshell crashes when open multiple GNS3 console windows at once

Hi,
Update#2: I think I found the issue but not the fix...
Attached is the error window screenshot when issue happened.

I do have log turned on by default for every session to that folder in screenshot (I do not use overwirte option in log configuration though). So for my setup, the first GNS3 router will be logged as "127.0.0.1_DATE.log" and second router will be "127.0.0.1_DATE (2).log". I think the new xshell build somehow locks the log files if xshell is not running and that causing the issue.

Let me know if you need me to try something else.

Update#1: If the xshell is running already, all good.

Upgraded to the latest version of xshell (build 0556) this afternoon and tried to open console windows for 6 routers from GNS3. if the xshell is not running, then the xshell will try to open, hang for a sec or two and then crashes (sometime just left one router console open). It was working greatly before the latest update (no update meantime for GNS3).

Here is the configuration option in GNS3 for xshell as the console application.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NetSarang\Xshell 5\Xshell.exe" -url telnet://%h:%p

I run latest windows 8.1 64bit.

Please advise.

Program Ver. : Xshell 5
Attachment 12.PNG (13.4 KB)  
Thursday, March 26, 2015 2:57 AM - Cristi

Re: xshell crashes when open multiple GNS3 console windows at once

I have this kind of problem with superputty, secureCRT and Xshell, so i think is related to GNS3. Maybe because is trying to connect to all the devices simultaneously.
Thursday, March 26, 2015 5:33 AM - Shuai

It was working fine before I did the upgrade to the latest version of xshell.
Monday, March 30, 2015 2:45 AM - Support

Here is Xshell 5 build 0497. Can you please make sure the problem does not occur in this version?

http://download.netsarang.com/files/xsh05000497.exe

---
Technical Support

Like us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter Twitter!
Monday, March 30, 2015 12:25 PM - Shuai

Here are the steps I tested:
1. Remove the build 0556
2. Install build 0497
3. Run latest version GNS3 and power on 6 routers
4. Without pre-opened xshell, open console for all 6 routers and xshell openned tabbed windows properly
5. With pre-opened xshell, open console for all 6 routers and xshell openned tabbed windows properly
6. Upgrade to build 0556 with buildin auto-update process
7. Without pre-opened xshell, open console for all 6 routers and xshell openned tabbed windows properly most of the time but still crash sometime.
8. Without pre-opened xshell, open console for all 6 routers and xshell crash all the time.
9. Remove build 0556
10. install build 0556 from strach
11. Without pre-opened xshell, open console for all 6 routers and xshell openned tabbed windows properly
12. With pre-opened xshell, open console for all 6 routers and xshell openned tabbed windows properly

So to me, it seems like the auto-update process broke something...
Thursday, April 2, 2015 6:55 PM - Support

We found a possible bug with log and that might be causing this issue. It has been added to our queue and our developers are working on it now.

However, I am not sure why the upgrade issue is happening. We will try to fix the problem in the future releases.

---
Technical Support