Xshell Forum

How to keep serial port session window open after rebooting?

Last post: Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:38 PM by ray, 2 reply

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:09 PM - ray

How to keep serial port session window open after rebooting?

My serial port is connected to a board and the xshell works well, however, when I restart my board, the session is closed immediately. my question is how to keep the seesion not closed when I restart the board, thank you!

Program Ver. : Xshell 3.0
Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:14 PM - Support

Re: How to keep serial port session window open after rebooting?

Thank you for using Xshell.

For some machines, it may take awhile until it starts sending information to its serial port after a reboot. Often times, linux machines start sending information to serial port after the prompt sign is displayed.

There are few things I can suggest you to do:

1. Make sure the board is sending information to its serial port.

2. If you do not see Xshell prompt sign ('Xshell>'), it does not mean the connection is closed. Xshell is simply waiting for serial port to start sending information.

3. If you do not see Xshell prompt, then try pressing an 'Enter' key or any other keys. In some cases, the board will start responding to key inputs.

If the problem persists, please tell us how we can duplicate the problem.

---
Technical Support
Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:38 PM - ray

Re: How to keep serial port session window open after rebooting?

I'm sorry, maybe my expression is too brief. Now I'd like to tell you more:
1. when I choose "Exit to local shell on connection close" in "Options" dialog and reboot, Xshell prompt sign can be seen.

2. After rebooting, if I reopen the connection and press 'Enter' key, I can see the shell prompt sign, also many linux commands can be executed.

3. The problem is not exist all the time. Some days ago, if I powered down my board, the session didn't dispear and seemed to be blocked, then, I power on it, I can see the scrolling reboot messages, that is what I need. I remember one time I made some choices like setting "close session after connection is terminated"(just guess, not exactly right) and the problem occured. The pity is I forget what I do in that operation.

That's it! I hope it's useful to solve the problem.