Xmanager Forum

Help on RedHat 7.2

Last post: Thursday, November 22, 2001 8:42 AM by David Walters, 4 reply

 
Tuesday, November 20, 2001 11:21 AM - David Walters

Help on RedHat 7.2

 
Hi,

I have also tried XManager on RedHat Linux 7.2 and I get to the point where my Windows NT 2000 machine brings the initial screen (gray) and then it says...XDMCP connection failed...

I have edited the correct files (/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess + xdm-config) per the FAQ and also I have downloaded the latest version of XManager (1.3.9.4)

but no luck....

BTW - Your the mirror site contains 1.3.9.1

any suggestions ?
Tuesday, November 20, 2001 1:43 PM - Support

Re: Help on RedHat 7.2

 
By default, RedHat 7.2 uses gdm, not kdm.
So you should configure gdm.conf file.
For more information on this issue, please read FAQ #1 at:

/bbs/listfaq.html

- Technical Support
Wednesday, November 21, 2001 10:32 AM - David Walters

Re: Re: Help on RedHat 7.2

 
I had made all of the changes as suggested in that FAQ but they did not help at all. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, November 22, 2001 12:56 AM - Support

More information required

 

If you configured Linux box correctly and xdm is running well, some other reasons might cause the problem. Please check the followings:

  • Network configuration (LAN or ADSL or LAN with a gateway). If your PC and the Linux exist in the same subnet, we can narrow the problem area.
  • Firewall between the PC and Linux.
  • Dual IP addresses in your PC.
  • A private IP is used for your PC and a public one for Linux.
  • Incorrect DNS(Name server) entry. Your PC name should be correctly entered in the name server. You can verify it using "nslookup" command in Linux. Forward and reverse lookup should be consistent.

We hope this could help you.

- Technical Support
Thursday, November 22, 2001 8:42 AM - David Walters

Re: More information required

 
The problem was the linux box was reporting a different host name for the client machine than was being reported by the windows client. Both machines were using a DNS server which is on a Win2K advanced server. I just added a host table entry on the linux box for the client, and that corrected the problem. I will have to go investigate what is up whit the DNS.