Xmanager Forum

Xmanagager window connected to linux server is disappaering after sometime of inactivity

Last post: Monday, February 14, 2011 1:05 AM by Support, 3 reply

Monday, February 7, 2011 10:33 PM - ravi

Xmanagager window connected to linux server is disappaering after sometime of inactivity

Hi

it think the session is getting disconnected, due to timeout, because of inactivity

can u tell me how to set the KeepAliveTime time, for the xession window connected to linux server

please find the log attached

regards,

Program Ver. : Xmanager 3.0
Connection Method : XDMCP connection
Attachment X0-log.txt (3.3 KB)  
Tuesday, February 8, 2011 1:13 AM - Support

Re: Xmanagager window connected to linux server is disappaering after sometime of inactivity

XDMCP does not have a feature that can prevent disconnection by timeout. But, you can use a command that periodically sends data from or to the remote host such as ping or top to achieve the same result.

Also, SSH has the keep-alive feature that prevents disconnection from timeout. Try opening the desktop by following the instruction in the following page:

/tutorial/xmanager/3200/Running_X_application_through_SSH_tunnel_with_Xstart

---
Technical Support
Friday, February 11, 2011 1:25 AM - ravi

Re: Xmanagager window connected to linux server is disappaering after sometime of inactivity

As you said that i can run top or ping command to avoid disconnection of the xsession.

say suppose i had opened the XDMCP xsession connected to linux server, and opened more than terminal in that linux sesssion,
then is it enough if i run the top command in just one terminal, and leave the other terminals idle, without getting the xsession disconnected due to inactivity timoeout.

thanks
Monday, February 14, 2011 1:05 AM - Support

It is usually enough to have just one terminal running ping or top command. But, this depends on the firewall/gateway that disconnects the connection. Best way to find out is to actually give it a try.

---
Technical Support