Xmanager Forum

How do I configure XManager 1.3.9 to use SSH to open in CDE mode?

Last post: Wednesday, July 9, 2003 4:58 AM by Pam Stevenson, 7 reply

Thursday, July 3, 2003 6:42 AM - Pam Stevenson

How do I configure XManager 1.3.9 to use SSH to open in CDE mode?

I have XManager 1.3.9, and we are looking to start using SSH instead of telnet. However, I don't know how to tell if XManager is using SSH to open my CDE session.

I have tried running an xterm from XStart and then running /usr/dt/bin/XSession, but that hangs on me. I'd prefer just to be assured that if I start XManager that it is using SSH instead of telnet. Thanks.

- Pam
Thursday, July 3, 2003 3:51 PM - Support

Re: How do I configure XManager 1.3.9 to use SSH to open in CDE mode?

If the Xsession works well with telnet protocol, it should also work well with the ssh protocol. We've tried the Xsession script on several Unix systems and there was no problem.

First of all, check the DISPLAY variable is correctly defined at the xterm prompt:

$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0

Also, check the "$HOME/.dt/startlog" and "$HOME/.dt/errorlog" files after running the Xsession.

If the problem persists, provide us with the following information:

- The output of "echo $DISPLAY" command at the xterm prompt
- /etc/hosts file of the Unix
- $HOME/.dt/startlog file
- $HOME/.dt/errorlog file

----
Technical Support
Thursday, July 3, 2003 10:51 PM - Pam Stevenson

Re: Re: How do I configure XManager 1.3.9 to use SSH to open in CDE mode?

Still hung up, so here's what you requested...

$echo $DISPLAY
localhost:11.0 (note, earlier it did say 10.0 - I logged back in and got 11 this time)

I'm attaching a zip for the other info you requested. Thanks.

- Pam

- The output of "echo $DISPLAY" command at the xterm prompt
- /etc/hosts file of the Unix
- $HOME/.dt/startlog file
- $HOME/.dt/errorlog file
Attachment ssh_error.zip ()  
Thursday, July 3, 2003 11:42 PM - Support

Re: Re: Re: How do I configure XManager 1.3.9 to use SSH to open in CDE mode?

The startlog shows that the connections are terminated unexpectedly. This can be caused by a lot of reasons.

Can you run /usr/dt/bin/Xsession successfully with TELNET protocol instead of SSH?

If the telnet works well, we should check the ssh module in Xstart. In the Xstart, select SSH and click Advanced button. And then click Protocol tab, and clear the zlib compression option. If the telnet also fails, there may be a problem in the network driver or cable.

Please provide us with the "C:Program FilesXmanager1.3.9Xmanager.log" file for further support. Also the messages displayed in the "Execution Log" dialog box would be helpful.

----
Technical Support
Friday, July 4, 2003 3:34 AM - Pam Stevenson

Re: Re: Re: Re: How do I configure XManager 1.3.9 to use SSH to open in CDE mode?

I tried this also with telnet from XStart, and it also does not work. I had to kill the CDE welcome screen from the Windows Task Manager. I'm attaching the information you requested.

- Pam
Attachment telnet_error.zip ()  
Friday, July 4, 2003 2:55 PM - Support

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How do I configure XManager 1.3.9 to use SSH to open in CDE mode?

Your login script requires addtional steps to login successfully and it can cause such a problem. In this case, you should choose the SSH protocol. Please do following steps once more:

1. Run Xstart.
2. Select SSH protocol.
3. Enter "/usr/dt/bin/dtterm -display $DISPLAY" in the Command box.
4. Click Run. An dtterm window will appear.
5. Enter "/usr/dt/bin/Xsession" at the prompt of the dtterm.

Also, clear the "Terminate at Reset" option in the Option tab of Xconfig.

Hope to solve the problem.

----
Technical Support
Monday, July 7, 2003 10:19 PM - Pam Stevenson

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How do I configure XManager 1.3.9 to use SSH to open in CDE mode?

Unfortunately, my Xsession appears still to be hanging. There's no error log, but I have supplied the startlog and the contents of the execution window again.

- Pam
Attachment ssh_error_2.zip ()  
Wednesday, July 9, 2003 4:58 AM - Pam Stevenson

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How do I configure XManager 1.3.9 to use SSH to open in CDE mode?

It would appear that the 1398e7 version of XManager that you recommended I download has resolved the issue. I can run Xsession from the dt window and successfully open the CDE display. It is no longer hanging. Thanks.