Xmanager Forum

xmanager not working (refcount problem) on window vista

Last post: Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:08 AM by Support, 8 reply

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:47 PM - Sanjay

xmanager not working (refcount problem) on window vista

I installed xmanager in two PC ( window vista OS). In one system it is connect to solaris system but in second PC the xmanager screen is blank and the in the log file is showing as
"FreeFontPath: FPE "C:\Program Files\NetSarang\Xmanager Enterprise 3\fonts\Misc" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.X server was terminated normally.

Need help

Program Ver. : Xmanager 3.0
Connection Method : XDMCP connection
Attachment X0.log (3.6 KB)  
Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:39 AM - Support

Re: xmanager not working (refcount problem) on window vista

There can be several causes for this type of problems.

Firstly, we can think of the firewall or internet security suite that prevents Xmanager from using network connection. By default, Xmanager uses TCP port 6000 and a few other ports (For all ports used in Xmanager, go to /faq/xmanager/3160) and XDMCP connection may fail if some of these ports are blocked. Please try disabling the firewall and internet security software such as McAfee temporarily and try connecting to the server again.

Secondly, if there are any invalid entries of your PC in DNS, this problem may occur. The best solution would be to talk to your network administrator and fix the problem by looking at the forward and reverse lookup tables. However, to check if DNS is causing the problem, you can try adding your PC in the /etc/hosts file.

For example, if your PC is 192.168.1.10, you would add:

192.168.1.10 your_computer_name

If the problem persists, please send us the following information:

1. In Solaris, send us the following file: /var/dt/Xerrors

2. Xmanager log from the successful connection

---
Technical Support
Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:43 AM - Sanjay

Dear Sir,

I am attaching the log file of PC where xmanager is running

Sanjay
Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:12 AM - Support

From the log files, it looks like the two PCs (one with the problem and one without) are within the same network. And also, the remote host is within the same network. In this scenario, the most possible cause of XDMCP failure is DNS server mis-configuration or firewall.

Have you tried adding the PC in the remote /etc/hosts file? Also, please send the /var/dt/Xerrors in case the problem persists.

---
Technical Support
Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:41 PM - Soumya Aditya Rout

Hi

I'm not able to see the log in screen after I double click on the server icon.A grey screen appears and a connection time out happens.

Earlier it used to work.

Thanks,
Aditya
Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:42 PM - Soumya Aditya Rout

Hi

In the log files i got the same message about refcount.

Thanks,
Aditya
Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:25 AM - Support

Sometimes Windows firewall blocks incoming connections even though you added Xmanager to the exception list. Try deleting all Xmanager entries in the Windows firewall setup and allow TCP ports 6000 - 6010 again.

---
Technical Support
Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:33 AM - Soumya Aditya Rout

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.I have my windows firewall disabled.Still I'm getting the grey screen.Its not for a single Solaris box but for all the solaris boxes available in network.
It has happened earlier but got resolved automatically.
Please advise.

Thanks
Aditya
Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:08 AM - Support

If it happened before and got resolved automatically, it makes it hard for us to guess what is causing this problem. Here are things I can recommend you:

1. Since it used to work before, you need to check if this problem is isolated to your PC or your network. Try connecting to the server from a different PC within the same network and see if the problem persists.

2. Check your PC for any software that might block incoming connections such as Windows firewall or 3rd party internet security tools. Disable them temporarily to find the cause.

---
Technical Support