Xmanager Forum

Xmanager2.0 cannot work well with AIX5.3 in GB18030

Last post: Tuesday, June 3, 2008 9:55 AM by Support, 9 reply

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 3:18 PM - redsprite

Xmanager2.0 cannot work well with AIX5.3 in GB18030

Our platform is AIX5.3 with GB18030 characterset。

When I using Xmanager 2.0 login the host. Xmanager halt. After I configure the font server, the font look fuzzy. But all these problems didn't appear on the host screen.

I have install the Chinese Font Pack in the Download Zone of this websit.But it still not work.
What could I do?

Thanks!
Thursday, August 24, 2006 2:12 PM - Eddie Cheung

Re: Xmanager2.0 cannot work well with AIX5.3 in GB18030

Try the following solution. I found this on NetSarang website.

---
Following font pack contains Chinese UTF fonts for the AIX machines. After installing this font pack, remove the font server from Xconfig and try accessing the AIX machine.

http://download.netsarang.com/files/fonts2/aix5utfcn.exe

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

---

/bbs/detail.html?id=xmanager&num=2113
Thursday, August 24, 2006 3:54 PM - redsprite

Re: Re: Xmanager2.0 cannot work well with AIX5.3 in GB18030

Thanks for your help.

I have downloaded and installed the new Aix-UTF font pack. The login screen have been displayed instead of halt. But all the words which should be displayed in Chinese disappeared. It's same to the Desktop after login-in. You could refer to the snapshot of the Xmanager screen in the attached files.

Anyway, it looks better now. How could I make it displaying correctly?
Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:44 PM - Support

Re: Re: Xmanager2.0 cannot work well with AIX5.3 in GB18030

In Xconfig, uncheck all Chinese font sets except AIX5UTFCN from the Font catalogues, and then move AIX5UTFCN to top of the list. Restart Xmanager and try again.

If your problem persists, please provide us with the following files:

1. Xmanager log file. It is located in the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\NetSarang\Xmanager\2\Log\*.log

2. /var/dt/Xerrors, $HOME/.dt/startlog, and $HOME/.dt/errorlog files in AIX

Hope this helps.

---
Technical Support

Thursday, August 24, 2006 7:35 PM - redsprite

Re: Re: Re: Xmanager2.0 cannot work well with AIX5.3 in GB18030

I did the correction as the guide above. But it still didn't work. I have compress the 4 log file in the attachment. please refer to it. Thanks for your help.
Attachment log.rar (2.9 KB)  
Friday, August 25, 2006 7:19 PM - Support

Re: Re: Re: Re: Xmanager2.0 cannot work well with AIX5.3 in GB18030

Our technicians are testing this problem. Please give us some time to get back to you.

Meanwhile, to help us better analyze this problem, please send us the following information:

1. /usr/lpp/X11/lib/X11/locale/UTF-8.CHINA/XLC_LOCALE file
2. /usr/lpp/X11/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/fonts.alias file
3. Have you installed GB18030 font set from the AIX installation package?

Thank you for your cooperation.

---
Technical Support
Friday, August 25, 2006 7:49 PM - redsprite

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Xmanager2.0 cannot work well with AIX5.3 in GB18030

Thanks.

Q1 & Q2
Please refer to the attachment.

Q3
I installed the AIX host by AIX 5.3 installing CD (8 pics).
Attachment font data.rar (2 KB)  
Monday, September 11, 2006 6:16 PM - Support

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Xmanager2.0 cannot work well with AIX5.3 in GB18030

his problem occurs because AIX 5.3 appends extra string in the font request that Xmanager cannot interpret.

You can avoid this problem in GB18030 by commenting out the subset entries in the /usr/lpp/X11/lib/X11/locale/GBK/XLC_LOCALE file like the following example:

#subset [0x0000_0x007f]

Hope this fixes your problem.

WARNING: Editing this file may cause system instability. Before you edit this file, please make sure to back up the original copy.

---
Technical Support
Monday, June 2, 2008 3:37 PM - xkdcc

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Xmanager2.0 cannot work well with AIX5.3 in GB18030

Hi.

I met this issue also.
When I did the steps you shown, the Chinese strings on UI display correct but the string on title disappeard.
Configuration:
(1) I login AIX53 in CDE, locale is GB18030.
(2) I comment the "subset [0x0000_0x007f]" in /usr/lpp/X11/lib/X11/locale/GBK/XLC_LOCALE.
(3) I uncheck other Chinese font in Xconfig but aix5utfcn, and move it to the top.
(4)Certainly, I installed Chinese GB18030 package from AIX53 discs(total:8 discs) and GB18030 locale.
(5)My Xmanager version: 2 (Build 0010)

FYI:
(1)I looked through "How to display Chinese character on the title"(/bbs/detail.html?id=xmanager&num=2785&page=&s_select=&s_text=) also.
But I found nothing help.Because that is eclipse, mine is Netbackup.
(2)More clear: At first, I install IBM Fonts, Java Fonts, Chinese Fonts in /download/main.html#fonts , and the Chinese strings in AIX53 OS displaying correct, only the Netbackup application cost a lot of time to display a window! And then I do the steps before(just the configuration above as you see).

Useful logs and snapshots attached.

Waiting for your reply.
Thank you for your time.
Tuesday, June 3, 2008 9:55 AM - Support

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Xmanager2.0 cannot work well with AIX5.3 in GB18030

Thank you for using Xmanager.

First, please try upgrading Xmanager to latest version. I believe this problem has been fixed in the current release.

Also, if you are located in the same network, I recommend you using XDMCP connection (via Xbrowser).

---
Technical Support