Xmanager Forum

How do I keep a saved password when installing on hundreds of machines?

Last post: Friday, July 15, 2005 5:56 PM by Support, 1 reply

Friday, July 15, 2005 3:49 AM - David Pease

How do I keep a saved password when installing on hundreds of machines?

I'm responsible for rolling out an upgrade of Xmanager from 1.3.9 to 2.0 on around 250 machines (with another 100 or so to come). Our environment requires six shortcuts to be placed on in the all users directory.

The problem I'm having is that we need the username and password saved in the shortcut, so the end user just double-clicks a link, and it automatically logs in and runs an X program.

In Xmanager 1.3.9, I was able to copy the .xms files I needed to the destination computer, then create the shortcuts on the desktop.

How do I do this with Xmanager 2.0? When I tried to repackage the installer with wininstall, the shortcuts appeared as I expected, but the password dialog popped up when I tried to run the application as a user other than the original installer.

How do I deploy the six shortcuts with the password saved to all 250 machines?

Thanks!

Friday, July 15, 2005 5:56 PM - Support

Re: How do I keep a saved password when installing on hundreds of machines?

Xmanager 2.0 has heightened its security measure. Although password is saved in a session file as Xmanager 1.3.9, it cannot be used by a different user.

If security is not one of your primary concerns, you should try the following solution. This instruction lets you send password via execution command. Please be advised that this method uses Telnet protocol instead of SSH and will reveal the password to users when opened with Xstart.

1. Start Xstart.
2. From the Protocol list, select Telnet.
3. Fill out User Name.
4. Leave Password empty and clear the Save option next to Password.
4. Click Advanced.
RESULT: Advanced Option dialog box opens up.
5. Click on the Prompt tab.
6. In the Login Prompt area, clear the Password Tokens field.
7. In Prompt Token, clear "$|%|>|#|}" and enter "assword:".
8. In Execution Command, type in the following line.
yourpassword<%CR%><%WAIT="$|%|>|#|}"%>/usr/bin/X11/xterm
9. Click Save.

Password is now saved in a session file and you should be able to distribute it with no problem.