Xmanager Forum

Trying to access a remote Solaris Server via VPN from a Windows box

Last post: Thursday, July 7, 2005 1:35 PM by Support, 5 reply

Tuesday, May 4, 2004 10:23 PM - Gita Govind

Trying to access a remote Solaris Server via VPN from a Windows box

I am trying to access a Solaris box from my Windows Desktop. I have installed XManager 2 Beta on my Desktop. I configured XStart to set up SSH tunelling. I connect to the Solaris box using Putty - again SSH configured.

When I try to run a command thru XStart, it works fine.

Also, I am able to run Xterm on the Solaris box via Putty.

I wish to see the display on my desktop's XManager or XBrowser. This I am not able to figure out how to set up. Can someone help me please ?

Gita
Wednesday, May 5, 2004 8:57 AM - Dave

Re: Trying to access a remote Solaris Server via VPN from a Windows box

Please confirm that a "dtlogin" process is running on your Solaris. Then, enter the IP address of Solaris in the Address bar of Xbrowser.

It may not work when the VPN has a firewall configuration or your PC and Solaris are located in different networks.

Dave
Thursday, May 6, 2004 8:53 PM - Gita

Re: Re: Trying to access a remote Solaris Server via VPN from a Windows box

I did a ps -e but couldnt find dtlogin in the running processes.

Do I run DTLogin with some parameters ? What would be the command line ?
Thursday, May 6, 2004 11:04 PM - David

Re: Re: Re: Trying to access a remote Solaris Server via VPN from a Windows box

You can enable the dtlogin process using "dtconfig" as following:

# dtconfig -e
# dtconfig -reset

Hope this helps you.

David
Wednesday, July 6, 2005 11:30 PM - Amit Mahajan

Re: Re: Trying to access a remote Solaris Server via VPN from a Windows box

Hi,

There is a similar problem existing in my environment as well...

I have a remote HP-UX machine (on a different network) which I am able to telnet through VPN from a local HP-UX machine.

That means, from my local PC I cannot directly access the remote machine, but once I telnet to the local HP-UX machine which has VPN, I can open a telnet session from there to the remote server.

Now the problem is : I have Xmanager installed on my local machine using which I can open a GUI (example, Netscape) on any HP-UX machines on my machine.

However what settings will have to be made in my local systems so that I can open up a GUI from the remote machine from my local workstation?
Thursday, July 7, 2005 1:35 PM - Support

Re: Re: Re: Trying to access a remote Solaris Server via VPN from a Windows box

Thank you for your thorough description of your problem. Since Xmanager is a server program, it must be able to make a connection back to your local PC. By following the solutions below, you should be able to make a direct a connection to the remote host.

1. Install VPN client on your PC. By installing VPN client, you can directly access the remote HP-UX machine.

2. If the remote host has SSHD (SSH server) installed, you can use SSH and X11 forwarding to use GUI applications.

Otherwise, your best bet is connecting through the local HP-UX machine. This may be the security policy of your company. Please contact your network administrator for more detail.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.