Xmanager Forum

Can't XMDCP Won't Connect Rh 7.3 & Suse 7.3 From Win2k

Last post: Monday, May 27, 2002 4:28 PM by Support, 1 reply

Sunday, May 26, 2002 11:36 AM - brianvagnoni

Can't XMDCP Won't Connect Rh 7.3 & Suse 7.3 From Win2k

Dear Sirs;

First, I would love to purchase your product because I do a lot of multiplatform work. But I've followed the extremely limited and vague faqs you have on your web site and still get similar error messages that other people are getting. I must have seen half a dozen posts with XMDCP won't connect. Instead of asking people for their configs, why don't you spend a little bit of effort and time on this horrible web site of yours and make it a little more user friendly as well as offer more information.; with regard to installation and setup on the server box.

Wouldn't it be easier to list some configs for various linux distro's. What people should have it them. Than having people send you their configs. This would make life easier for you, and you wouldn't have people filling your forums with the same old requests for help.

In addition, I've seen that very same post. It never gets answered. People either get it to work and or give up; like I just about to do now.

Also your forums are painfully slow. I'm on a very fast cable connection right now and I have to wait for than 10 seconds for each page to load.

PLease and again I really would love to use this software. WHich means mci for you. But not if it doesn't work. Humor me, don't ask me for my configs; post what were suppose to hasve in ours.

I use either RH 7.3 oand/or Suse 7.3, SSH to login, and I want to be able to l,ogin as root; while root is logged in on the host machine.

I connected with the ssh program just find, in fact I connect with any of the linux xterm, ssh, and or telnet emulation. I just never get my X WIndows desktoip. Kdm is running as I 've done what you asked. When I use Sys-init and try and load xdm, it satates that kdm has been loaded fine. I use KDE on all of my linux boxes.

Please help, Please see this though so others don't have to post this same message. Make it a sticky message right at the beginning of the forums if you have to

Sincerely

Brian
Monday, May 27, 2002 4:28 PM - Support

Re: Can't XMDCP Won't Connect Rh 7.3 & Suse 7.3 From Win2k

Thank you for your suggestion.
We will try to upgrade our support page in the near future.

For RedHat 7.3, you should change:

- /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc
- /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess

For Suse 7.3:

- /etc/opt/kde2/share/config/kdm/kdmrc

For more detailed on how to configure these files, please read:

/bbs/listfaq.html

Question #2 has the answer.

XDMCP connection also fails due to your network configuration:

- Your PC and Linux are located in different subnet.
- Your PC is inside of firewall or intranet.
- Your PC has multiple IP addresses.
- DNS configuration has unmatched name-to-IP and IP-to-name mappings.
- Shell scripts in your account may have an error with XDMCP.

----
Technical Support