Xmanager Forum

XDMCP connection through firewall with port forwarding

Last post: Monday, March 15, 2004 3:52 PM by Support, 2 reply

Saturday, March 13, 2004 3:45 PM - Jason

XDMCP connection through firewall with port forwarding

My PC is in a LAN, connected to the internet through a router with firewall. Xmanager works perfectly to connect a remote SUN (Solaris) server through SSH (with Xstart), when port forwarding has been correctly set for the firewall. However, I cannot connect to the server with XDMCP connection, but always get a "XDMCP connection failed" message. Can Xmanager be used in this case?

I think it is because the server can only get my IP in my LAN, which it cannot reach. Is there a way to tell the server my router's Internet IP address, so that it can communicate with my PC through port forwarding, as it does with SSH connection?
Sunday, March 14, 2004 11:18 AM - H.Ronald Yang

Re: XDMCP connection through firewall with port forwarding

Have you looked at Xmanager FAQ?
Monday, March 15, 2004 3:52 PM - Support

Re: XDMCP connection through firewall with port forwarding

Hi Jason,

To enable XDMCP connection in NAT environment, first the firewall for LAN needs to port forward TCP 6000~6010 to your PC. Then, specify the router?s IP address and forwarded TCP port in Proxy option of XDMCP session properties if you are using Xmanager 2.0. For Xmanager 1.3.9, please refer to Xmanager Forum 451.

In case of having a firewall setup at remote host, UDP 177 needs to be opened. For more information, please refer to Xmanager FAQ 5.

If you just want to use the full GUI desktop environment using Xmanager through SSH, just type /usr/dt/bin/Xsession as Execution Command in Xstart session properties.

For further support, please provide us with more detailed steps you followed.

---
Technical Support